08 September 2010

Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train

Michael and Freeman are quite possibly two of the most polar opposite people. Michael an older man grew up in England whereas Freeman a young man grew up in the valleys of KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. Michael a travel enthusiast moved to South Africa after a hard divorce – Freeman never married and only travelled the world in the depths of his own mind. Michael healthy, Freeman sick. Michael white, Freeman black.

Despite the divergences something brought them into each others lives and something even stronger kept them there. The bond between them puts a definition on the title ‘best friends’. It is unlike anything I have ever witnessed.

When Freeman entered the Respite Centre he barely looked like a human, let alone an adult. His skeletal body haphazardly jerked itself to the empty bed, his eyes staring into the distance. Freeman’s last ounce of strength evaporated as he collapsed on the bed. A moment of panic washed over me as I thought he might pass away then and there.

Suddenly his eyes began to focus, his breath became steadier and his mouth formed the words “thank you”. I thought his newfound source of strength was nothing short of a miracle until I realized that Freeman and Michael were holding hands; willpower to survive being transmitted between the palms of friends.

Over the last two months I have formed a strong friendship with both Freeman and Michael and watched in awe as their companionship flourished. It seemed as though as Freeman’s body became weaker day by day his memory became sharper. Many afternoons I would sit by his bed deep in conversation. We covered everything from our favorite foods to where we were the morning of September 11th. From the practicality of Skype to the disappointment we feel when people don’t understand our sarcasm.

We talked about the power of love and the devastation of disease and our shared love for Cat Stevens. He told me all of the places he wanted to travel when he felt better and suggested places that I should visit while in South Africa.

On the last day I saw him Freeman retold me the story of his friendship with Michael, this time with a fondness surrounding him. The two met years ago and Michael has been financially supporting him and his educational endeavours since. When Freeman matriculated (passed his final exams senior year of high school) Michael surprised him with an adventure. His tale goes a little something like this:
“He surprised me! He said get in the car we’re going somewhere I’ve already got a bag packed for you. And he did! We drove and drove I think we drove the entire length of Africa and back again. We stopped at some places to stay and they were so beautiful. Michael went to bed because he was tired from driving, but not me! I had a drink [chuckles to himself] okay maybe I had a few drinks. Vodka, hah that stuff is hard [his sullen cheek bones wriggling as he remembered the taste.] Then Meg then the car stopped. Michael made me put this black tie over my eyes. He got me out of the car and I could hear this sound unlike anything. It was so powerful. We walked for a while and I was trusting Michael to lead me in the right direction. And then he took of my mask and I opened my eyes and we were at the biggest waterfall. Victoria Falls it’s called. It was beautiful. He calls me Casanova because he thinks too many ladies like me, but really he is the one that always cared the most. He’s my best friend.”

I don’t know who had more tears rolling down their face, Freeman or I but we were both smiling. That was the best thing about Freeman he always ALWAYS made me smile. Even in his weakest of moments his giant smile found me and his friendship surrounded me.

Without fail up until the last day Michael was at the Respite Centre every single day, bringing Freeman juice or crackers, different types of fruit and most importantly hope. The two of them held friendship in their palms. They showcased love on the outside instead of masking it under the skin.

It’s been two days since Freeman lost his battle with AIDS. Now this might be fate or it might be that this blog has taken me hours to piece together - going through the entire repertoire of my ipod, but as I am sitting here teary eyed trying to finish writing, thinking about the funeral this Saturday “Peace Train” by Cat Stevens is playing on my ipod. I can’t help but hope that it’s a last parting gift from my good friend Freeman.
“Now I've been crying lately,
thinking about the world as it is
Why must we go on hating,
why can't we live in bliss

Cause out on the edge of darkness,
there rides a peace train
Oh peace train take this country,
come take me home again”

No comments:

Post a Comment