05 May 2010

We are all the same

I just finished reading "We Are All the Same" a book about the life and death Of Nkosi Johnson by Jim Wooten.

It is by far one of the most powerful books I have ever read.

Perhaps I am so moved by it because I am a witness to the struggle with AIDS on a daily basis. I can conjure up an image of a male patient Nkosi's age. Or because the places, the nameless roads leading to crowded townships filled with people who do not have proper identification (therefore in the eyes of the government do not exist) are the same dirt paths I find myself on daily.

I think it is the detail with which Wooten employs, exposing the raw nature of that which was and in some regard still is South Africa is not only educational, but utterly authentic. The hurt. The sadness. The confusion. And most importantly the love that is encapsulated within the book echo my exact feelings.

If you haven't read it, read it.
If you have, read it again.
If you want a glimpse into what surrounds me in South Africa, read it.

Part of Nkosi's speech...
"I want people to understand about AIDS- to be careful and respect AIDS- you can't get AIDS if you touch, hug, kiss, hold hands with someone who is infected.

Care for us and accept us- we are all human beings.

We are normal. We have hands. We have feet. We can walk, we can talk, we have needs just like everyone else- don't be afraid of us- we are all the same!"

2 comments:

  1. Meghan- I will definitely read it. I have also read some amazing books. I'll keep a list for your return. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, Sounds like a good book. I'll have to read it. But work with such a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds at my school, I know how true those words are....
    Be Well,
    :)
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete