29 August 2010

Cheers to you Dad!

Being away from family and friends for a whole year is part of what makes the volunteer experience challenging. The distance keeps me from feeling like I am ever fully a part of anything that is going on in the lives of those I know and love. I have had to learn to rely on e-mails, pictures and phone calls chronicling life (thank god for facebook).

Finding a way to feel like I can comfort someone from miles away has tested not only my patience, but also my writing abilities. Learning to accept that for this year I will not be able to physically be a part of birthday celebrations and engagement parties (congrats Erin and Court!) or acknowledging that for the first time in eleven years I was not able to work at Camp Daybreak is something that has been beyond hard.

Just as I have learned to make accommodations to live life in South Africa in new and creative ways I am learning new ways to keep my sense of self alive back home.
Last week my Dad retired from being a Doctor. My family put together a big party celebrating his accomplishments and although the invitation to the extravaganza made its way to my doorstep in South Africa, the price of flying home for a quick weekend jaunt was too expensive to tick the “I’m attending” on the RSVP. More than anything I wanted to be there to commend him on being the best Doctor I know and thank him for sharing his gift for medicine with me.

While visiting me in Africa Colin helped conspire with me on how to make that happen. We spent hours writing a speech to be read at his party. Colin would read the beginning and then hit play and a video recording of me reading the second would play. A little rendition for those of you would also couldn’t be there...

Colin:

“Tonight is a night that is about celebrating the accomplishments of a man whose devotion has always been to the service of others. Through his consistent positive role modeling, Tim Cope has shown each of us what it means to be a devoted employee, husband and father. His work ethic is unbeatable, his tolerance is endless, his love for all that he cares about is immeasurable and his jokes are plentiful.
As a father, Pop has taught us many things, but the one that we both agree is most valuable would be the meaning of devotion. Devotion to one’s family, devotion to a life of education and devotion to a hard day’s work.

As a father, Pop has taught me many life lessons, but the most important has been devotion. I have been shown through his unconditional love and support that devotion to one’s family is invaluable. He has taught me that devotion to a life of education is important by always encouraging me and my abilities in the classroom. And through seeing the dedication he has for his job, he has taught me the meaning of devotion for a hard day’s work. His kindness and patience have enriched my life and have given me the confidence and support to become a proud member of our family, honest member of the working world and a respectable man.”

Enter video of me (I even got dressed up and had a glass of wine to celebrate!):
“As a father, Dad has taught me devotion to one’s family with his consistent love and support. He is always willing to provide me with advice. Whether it is advice for a broken heart or a potential broken bone or advice on how best to comfort a patient dying of AIDS, he always knows how to ease my pain. He has taught me the importance of devotion to a life of education through his unending support and encouragement of my educational advancements. And through watching his work ethic I have learned that devotion to a hard day’s work is one of the most important elements of a successful life. His unconditional love, support and friendship have exceeded all exceptions. He has enriched my life in countless ways and given me the tools to better myself in his image.

The commitment and affection he has shown each of his children has always been carried into his office and into the hearts of each and every one of his colleagues, interns and patients.

From all the way in South Africa it is with my great pleasure that I ask you to please join Colin and I in raising your glasses and commending the vast accomplishments of Timothy T. Cope, Doctor, co-worker, friend, husband and our loving father.”

I think I spend a lot of time thinking and processing what I see, feel and think about here. I do not give enough credit or thanks to each of you, who have supported me, encouraged me and loved me through this adventure. Dad, you have been one of my biggest fans, one of my most valued outlets and the person who has inspired me to fall in love with the medical field.



This ones for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment