22 January 2010

South African Creepy Crawlies

I have been told by a faithful follower that my blogs are too long a.k.a putting his to shame. So here is a short happy little one.

Critters in South Africa are the weirdest. I have really been trying to live harmoniously with them, but it just is not possible. I thought I would conquer my paralyzing fear of spiders while I was here. My goal was too lofty. I decided to attempt to get close enough to kill one the other day. (the size of a golf ball) The nasty thing had been staring at me while I made coffee and I was sick of it. I got close enough to see its furry body and right when I was about to kill it, it jumped...literally soared right at me. I got the hell away.

At breakfast the other morning I saw a lizard chasing a bird, it wasn't cute or little...quite fascinating to watch though. (By the time the bird got a away my cereal was soggy)
We also had a grasshopper in our house the length of a football field...
And saw a snail the size of a child.

A bit of an exaggeration, but really they just grow things bigger over here. What happened to those small snails we did snail Olympics with in 3rd grade? South African monstrosities...

Hows that for short, educational and sweet? Do you approve Daniel Jacobs?

Also for the record Nana just skyped me(you looked good girl)....if she can figure it out I have faith that the rest of you can! I am quickly forgetting the sweet sounds of your little voices....shame

Peace, Love and don't let the bed bugs bite,
-Meghan South African Animal Planet Correspondent

2 comments:

  1. Meg, I like the long notes with details, but if you get busy or need to rest small ones with work :) Whatever works for you dear. I like the pics and the objects to compare sizes.
    I would not have done well with the soaring spider, but I too would have been facinated by the other creatures. And big is right! :)
    Take Care and Stay safe with the critters ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan, I am so glad your Nana told me to get on your blog! What an exciting time you must be having. Long or short, it is wonderful to be able to hear about the events that you have experienced - although the spider just about got me! I am more afraid of spiders than anything!
    You are greatly missed by the Friday sewing group but I for one admire you more every day.
    You must know that you are respected and loved by this Southerner!
    Be safe, sweet Meg, and take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete