18 January 2010

Sanibonani: Welcome to the Zulu Nation

It is Monday evening here, actually quite late at night...I should be in bed already. I honestly have not had a spare second in which to process all we have encountered and then write to you all. I know I'll be tired tomorrow, but I figured an update was due before too much time has passed. I can not believe that tomorrow marks a week since our arrival in South Africa! In such a short amount of time this land, these people and my community members (Becca, Mary-Kate and Sinead) have begun to steal my heart. You know how sometimes something just feels right? This is one of those times. I feel like I am really meant to be here right now. Although I miss the comforts of home, Nanas cooking, my crazy friends and my loving family I am excited for this adventure.

This week has been such an amazing, yet exhausting whirlwind of people, places, and events. We have all managed to learn how to drive on the opposite side of the car and on the opposite side of the road. (also the car is manual so throw that into the mix) When asked if one of us wanted to try driving on our second day I jumped at the opportunity, and if I do say so myself I think I did a very swell job. Despite my cocky outwardly appearance, in the middle of driving when asked how I was feeling the only thing I could reply with was "really sweaty". I don't think I have ever been so nervous behind the wheel. Legit so scared. I didn't understand how the signs told me to go 120 mph on a very windy road until I realized that they obviously don't use miles per hour, I was confused by which way to look for oncoming traffic when pulling out into an intersection - left, right, left...wait no right, left, right, and I was and still am just plain intimidated by the other drivers, the people going for a dainty little stroll through the middle of the highway and the fact that there are very large valleys on the other side of the guardrail that I couldn't help but looking at and thus have drifted my car towards on more than one occasion. WHOOPS.

We have taken trips to visit the four work sites we will be at each day. St. Leo's Primary School where Sinead will be working full time and Mary Kate and Becca part time was our first stop. We got to the school early so we could watch the children grade 1-7 sing and pray in Zulu. It was such a captivating and powerful moment to listen as they harmonized with such dedication and intention. I have honestly never seen a more adorable crowd of children be so focused.

Our second and third stops of the day were to 1000 Hills Community Center and Hillcrest AIDS Respite where I will be splitting my time. To get to 1000 Hills you literally drive through, up, over, around and down 1000 hills. There are numerous outrageous views. Large hills dense with the lushest trees and deep green valleys cut by a winding two lane road.

The woman who runs 1000 Hills, Dawn (an incredible lady whom I can't wait to get to know) gave us a brief tour and then left us to play in the yard with the babies. I love all babies and I'm pretty partial to the ones I know back home, but these were some of the most beautiful children I have ever seen. They were so lively, so fully of such a genuine spirit and love. Despite the language barrier, something I myself found frustrating, they used their actions and smiles to convey their happiness. They danced around us, touched our hair and pushed down on our skin which I later realized was because it turns even more white when pressure is applied. Who knew being so pasty white would turn into such a game? I think I gave out a million hugs and just as many high-fives in my 45 minutes there. Tomorrow is my first day of work at 1000 hills and although I have not a clue what I will be doing I can't wait to be greeted with such affection.

We then visited Hillcrest AIDS respite and were able to get a tour of the facilities and meet some of the patients. I am very excited for both of my jobs, but this is the one I have the most apprehension about. I have never worked in an environment where I will be faced with death and dying on a constant basis. Although when I told people in the States that I will be be working with HIV/AIDS they more often then not commented about my health and safety, that is probably the least of my concern (Yes Dad, I will be following your medical advice and using every standard precaution) but I guess I am just nervous that I don't know the language enough to convey my compassion to people who are in such dire situations. I want to be able to let people know that I am with them and I care about them in their last moments. Time will tell. Thankfully Hillcrest seems to be a very impressive environment I am looking forward to the positive atmosphere and love that seems to fill the place.

Today we visited the fourth of the sites, St. Theresa's Home which houses 70 boys ages 4-18. The home itself is set up very nicely, about 12 boys per cottage and two staff members whom they call Aunties take care of them. The four of us will be doing homework help three days a week. I'm excited to have a location that we can all serve in together. I think it will bring us closer and really allow us to bond. The drive to the home is much different than the drive to either of my other locations. We take the M13 (a regional highway of sorts) and the N3 (a national high way) about 25 minutes out side of Bothas Hill where we live headed towards Durban. We drive right passed the Pavillion - an extremely large shopping mall that we had to go to when buying our new computer. It was extremely overwhelming coming from a land sprinkled with small shacks to then be in a place with every store you could ever imagine. Gap, Bath and Body works, Prada sunglasses I mean you name it its in there. I think it will serve as a reality check every day we drive past it.

We have also gone food shopping which although can be a daunting task when you are on a budget made me laugh. First we have to try and figure out the currency. I guess the conversion rate is something like 7 Rand for every USD, but in reality I have no idea.... We bought boxed wine and bagged milk both concepts I adore. The brand on most things is called "No Name Brand" which I think is an ideal marketing ploy and the bell peppers red, yellow and green are called Robot peppers. They call traffic lights here robots hence the name. They also got a kick out of my Credit Card - the woman ringing me out looked at it and then at me and said "Pretty American". I would love to think she was complimenting me, but I'm going to go ahead and be realistic... she was talking about the American Express card I had just handed her that she was fervently staring at its clear shiny design.

Yesterday, Sunday was probably my favorite part of the whole week. We attended a traditional Zulu Mass at St. Leo's and then another mass at Kloof the white South African parish that our neighbor Fr. Frank led. Two masses in one day! Can you believe it? I'm quite the little Catholic! The mass at Leo's was unlike anything I have ever encountered. First and foremost it was two hours long. At that I can pre-empt a few sighs, but in all honesty it flew by. Everyone there sings...and they are darn good at it. Although I couldn't understand a word I actually understood a lot of the mass. The Deacon not only introduced us as the American volunteers (and when trying to pronounce my name he called me Megma, I think it has a nice ring) but he also let everyone know that the Cardinal has mandated that every parish donate money to the relief funds in Haiti. I was in awe when I heard that and then witnessed a large majority of the people walking back up to give their second donation. This is a parish that people walk to because they don't have cars. They struggle day to day themselves with money. It was just such a blessing to witness.

Also, in typical Meg McKennan style I got a rather large bloody nose in the middle of mass- right before everyone shakes hands as a sign of peace. I clearly got some interesting looks, but thankfully Sinead saved the day with pocket tissues.

The evening mass at Kloof was also beautiful, but the differences were striking. Everyone was white and most seemed to come from an affluent background. I like both equally for very different reasons. And I think they will both serve as an important part of our year in very similar and yet completely different ways. After the mass at Kloof a young man invited us all over for pizza and beer at his house. We were joined by four other 20 somethings. They were hysterical and I think we all feel quite fortunate at the prospect of potential friendships. South Africa, especially where we are located isn't the safest of places. We have gates to our property and a security system on our house, but are limited as far as what we can realistically do off of our property. Heres to making friends who can help us experience the culture in a safe way!

I meant to mention in my previous post that when I arrived at the Durban airport Fr. Jim Wenzel from Merrimack was there along with the three priests we are connected to over here. It was such a nice surprise to see a familiar face. He had been here visiting for two weeks. It was sad to see him go, but I actually got some wonderful news via e-mail today. Fr. Bob Teranova, one of the priests I was very close with in the Bronx will be here all of Feb. to discern if this is the parish where he wants to move to next. I was ecstatic when I heard. I love the challenge being in a new place presents me with, but I also cherish a familiar face!

I'm excited to dive into work tomorrow. I recognize that I will be challenged along the way, but I also know that this will forever change me.

8 Warwickshire Crescent, our adorable little cottage...

My view overlooking the Valley of 1000 Hills and Embo.

My Bedroom, yes I brought my pirate pillowcase and I bet if you are special enough you made it onto my wall o' fame on the right.

Our pool, which is gorgeous and I love, but I do feel uncomfortable about. It overlooks the valley where the houses are tiny and don't have running water or electricity. At times I feel too privileged.

MY INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS LICENSE...I can't promise that I can do it well, but I can legally drive here.

4 comments:

  1. Meg it all sounds so wonderful. I am sure you will do fabalous things and truly touch the lives of each indivdaul you meet. Your warmth and smile will be no match for the language barrier. I cant wait to read about all your adventures!

    Sarah :) (Rossini)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg- We are so very proud of you! We enjoyed reading this update. You go girl! Your experience will be amazing. Pop loved the part about the suppository. We got quite a chuckle from that. We love you! Love Mom and Pop

    ReplyDelete
  3. So really I can't drive in one country and you can drive in two? the mind boggles. Your blog is inspiring and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, sounds so wonderful and I love the pics. You write so well and with so much detail that I can picture what you describe :)

    ReplyDelete