14 February 2010

I smell like chicken breast

Last evening we joined our friends for the home opening game of the Durban Sharks rugby season. (They played the New Zealand Chiefs) There were about 15 of us who met in the stadium parking lot to braai before the game. We brought pasta salad, veggie burgers for the girls and I had a delicious steak. It felt quite comfortable to be tailgating with the boys who also brought along a few new friends. The ABSA stadium stands adjacent to the new World Cup stadium, which is quite a monstrosity. It was an interesting sight to behold I’ll have to put up pictures when I get a chance.

The game, despite a last minute loss, was very exciting. The players were drop dead gorgeous, every one of them! The crowd was energetic and the beer was delicious. It really made me miss getting all dressed up in jerseys and watching games with everyone at Gines.

After the game we met some other friends at a pub near our house and I unfortunately got a migraine so we ended up leaving. I think I was overwhelmed by all the lights and music at the game and I haven’t been feeling well for a few days; a small stomach bug and I’m sure I am dehydrated and exhausted from work (Its been about 100 degrees every day this week)

Its hard being so far from everything comforting and being sick. All I wanted was my mom, my bed, a fan, the notorious “McKennan basin” that I think we’ve all been throwing up in since we were babies and an ice pack. Instead I fumbled between laying on one of our very small couches throwing up in one of our Tupperware containers and our grimy toilet. Instead of a fan I had hot South African heat and a frozen chicken breast in a plastic bag substituted as an ice pack. All the luxuries of volunteering were made very apparent.

For the record we do have two new ice packs, but they were sitting warm in our cooler from the braai. Chicken breasts work well until you open your eyes hours later and you are face to face with a warm, bloody soggy mess. I’m gagging at the thought, as I’m sure you are. I still feel queasy so I unfortunately had to skip out on going to a huge opening celebration of a new church that was just built in one of the valleys near us, but its just as well I’m sure a day of rest will do me good.

If any of you want to fly over here with ginger ale in hand and rub my back I wouldn’t complain…

2 comments:

  1. Oh Meg, my family and I are just getting over the stomach bug...it's going through the schools. I do hope when you read this you are feeling better and I'm sorry you didn't have the comforts of home. I've gotten sick while traveling with the family and I know it's not much fun. I wish I had Known and had some magic to make some of your comforts appear...my thoughts and warm wishes will have to do. Please take care, drink lots and rest up. I've learned from years of experience that I'm not much good to others if I don't take care of myself first. I'm glad you enjoyed the game, feel better, and know well wishes are headed your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg- I'm sorry you were sick. Chicken Breast..... oh my. Remember how you use to use frozen peas because they would comform to your head. McKennan Basin may come to you some day. It is certainly an antique and worth its weight in gold. Get well- we love you love Mom and Pop

    ReplyDelete