08 February 2010

Winter 2010

Tomorrow is a month since we have been in South Africa. It is a perplexing mix of familiar and foreign. At times it feels like it has been a few short days since our arrival- other moments it feels like it has been an eternity.

I think this weekend we all hit the realization wall; this isn't a vacation, this is home...at least of the next ten months. Unlike the freezing temperatures and snow that blanketed the North East, Kwa Zulu Natal was exceptionally hot. Although our refrigerator is stocked with liquids, and our pool is crystal clear we couldn’t resist the allure of the Indian Ocean.

I felt a sense of success as I navigated our way through the crowded streets of downtown Durban to North Beach. The beach was a beautiful contrast of sand lined with countless bodies. The adults skipped across the blistering sand carrying babies to the waves while the sun beat down on everyone. It was scorching, unlike any heat I have ever felt.

The Indian Ocean provided us with many much needed refreshing breaks from the sun and an old school compilation including Nelly, filled my headphones as I let the stress of the week slip away.

Don't worry our North East friends, I know you were getting pounded by extreme freezing weather and a snow storm so in your honor we made a sand snowman. If you can't make out the writing below its a little message to you in the snow...

" WINTER 2010"


2 comments:

  1. Meg - so nice to see you. You look great and from your blog I can tell that you are working so very hard to make a difference where you are. I love your happy, silly stories but my heart hurts when I read of the sad ones. Alas, that is life. You are a true inspiration! Stay strong my friend - you are making a world of difference to every single person who meets you. I promise to call you soon (I just can't promise it will be at a time that makes sense :). xoxox Milissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg,
    a month out of ten months....if your heart has been touched so powerfully by one month than can we even imagine what it will be like when you leave there to come home? I listen to your stories and see the pics and find myself truly wishing I was there with you as you do such meaningful work for your fellow man.
    I am glad you get some time off to destress and this pic says so much....
    Lots of Hugs,
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete