25 February 2010

Marbles

Now whenever I see a fish being drawn in the dirt (symbolizing the start of a game) I inevitably find a small hand in mine presenting me with a few of their marbles to play with. Every single time I choke back tears.

Tuesday, Spiho, a 9 year old told me to call him “Coach”. When I asked why he explained matter of factly that he was sick of watching me loose and was going to teach me to be good at marbles. Throughout the game I complimented him on his form, his guidance, patience and direction.

At the end of the game (which I won, although I’m pretty sure Hinal and Shaldon let me win) I gave Sphio a hug. As I was in the process of thanking him he opened up my hand, looked me in the eyes and said “a pretty one to start your collection”. I looked down and saw a clear marble, speckled with orange dots.

Although I insisted he take it back he wouldn’t. It was then that I recognized just how much these boys are teaching me about life and love and most importantly sacrifice. My St. Theresa boys provide me with more friendship and self assurance then I often feel like I am bestowing upon them and I am forever grateful.

In the United States a marble is so ordinary and inexpensive. Here they are prized possessions. And to me, my orange speckled marble is not only the start of my collection, but it will symbolize friendship and be forever priceless.

3 comments:

  1. Meg- I love the marble story. Uncle Jack had a bag of marbles. Should I bring some when I come? You'll have to teach me how to play. Love- mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Meg,
    I love your name there...you are easy to love! Your story was so inspiring and heartwarming...I wish I was rich to spend money on Daybreak, my family/friends, and send stuff to you and your children. I am glad you recieved lessons and your first marble...it's like Daybreak Giving Tree gifts....something from the heart that you can treasure forever.
    Keep having fun :)
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg you just made me cry at work! gosh... haha. love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete