04 March 2010

5 dolla holla

I can’t even begin to count how many times I have been asked if I am going to the World Cup. I think people sometimes forget that not only am I volunteering, but I don’t even have a stipend so saving up for world events is not exactly a priorty.

That being said I had the pleasure of attending a Bafana Bafana (South Africas national football (soccer) game last night. The girls were tired so I joined all our Kloof friends and Brian Straussberger ( a former volunteer from both the Bronx and South Africa who is currently visiting us) for the game.

Did I forget to mention that the game was held in the new Moses Mabida Stadium in Durban which will holds 70,000 people and will be one of the stadiums used during the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

Although they tied Namibia, the game was outrageously fun. I have never been in an athmosphere quite like it. Everyone was wearing green and yellow, including me because clearly I’m quite a dedicated fan! The South African flag was painted across faces, arms and stomachs and the cheers were non stop.

The stadium is a monstrosity. I was so impressed, I’ll have to put up pictures soon….

I was 15 seats up from the field…. No big deal….oh and also did I forget to mention that they cost 30 Rand which is roughly 5 dollars. Terrible way to spend a Wednesday night huh?

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are having fun and getting an experience like that :)

    ReplyDelete