04 March 2010

As I sit here and try to think of all the wonderful things that happened to me today all my mind can focus on was my experience at St. Theresa’s. As I have mentioned in previous posts working there isn’t work, its fun and play and filled with love. Cottage two has become a part of me, the boys have become my family.

As we pulled into the gates we had the normal welcome crowd waving and yelling, dancing and running along side our car. Until they realized that we had brought Brian with us (former volunteer worked at St. Theresas school and at the home). The boys literally went wild. I have never seen them be so productive doing their homework as to get outside and “TACKLE UNCLE BRIAAAAN”. I and the other girls were sitting back relaxing and letting Brian do the work, enjoying our little moment of freedom when I realized I hadn’t seen all the boys from my cottage; one in particular.

I was devastated to hear the news that he was transferred and I didn’t get to say goodbye to him. Figuring he had either been adopted or placed in foster care I questioned the reasoning behind transferring him and asked where he went and the laughter and jubilance fell silent. I changed the subject and found a private moment to ask the Auntie what had happened right before we left.

With a solemn face she told me of reports of abuse on others in the cottage. My heart broke. I couldn’t even focus on what she was saying. I caught bits and pieces of conversation and can piece it together in my mind. I just couldn’t believe it.

My boys have literally become my family
Shaldon, who looks like an Indian version of my cousin Evan blushes as he peeks at me under long eyelashes. He has the best aim in marbles and a heart of gold.

Lindo is my protector, always defending my awful soccer skills and terrible pronunciation of Zulu words.

Sizwe is the cottage clown, always finding a way to make me and everyone else around laugh.

Lyle is silent, but when he has something to say it is always so profound.

Siya is an angel, loves to laugh, loves to play and loves to love.

Mxolisi is too cool for school and avoids my questions at all costs, but is the first to give me a hug upon my arrival or to slip his hand in mine while we are walking.

Kwanele is my little boyfriend. His smile is as big as the horizon and his laugh is contagious.

Keegan is one of the smartest children I have met, conscientious and always willing to assist others with homework. He checks in with me asking how my day was and if I miss people from home.

I know deep down that these boys have been hurt, abandoned, left, destroyed, broken and neglected, but I try my best not to think about it. But my boys are full of spirit and love. They are resilient and strong. They provide me with so much love and support and it makes me ache inside to think about anyone of them being hurt.

I knew this year would be hard, the ups the downs, the death and disarray. I guess I just didn’t realize how completely overwhelmed with emotions I would feel every single day and how tested my faith would be.

2 comments:

  1. Meg,
    I love the descriptions....so many are true for you too! Hang in there...think of them like camp kids...they may have baggage, but hopefully they can put it down for a bit to have fun, feel safe/respected/loved. You can do this and I will say a prayer for your little guy that was missing as well as all the kiddos who's lives you touch. :)

    ReplyDelete