14 March 2010

Shoelaces tied tight

Each Lent the Augustinian Volunteers have various current volunteers, alums, site supervisors and others involved with the program write reflections. Today March 14th the 4th Sunday of Lent was my day so I thought I'd share my reflection with you. I took a bit from a blog I have already written, plagiarizing myself... It is on the following readings, mostly the Prodigal son

Readings: Jos 5:9a, 10-12; Ps 23: 1-3a, 3b-4, 5, 6; 2 Cor 5:17-21; Lk 15:1-3, 11-32

Its funny - everyone in South Africa seems to notice the shoes I wear. Take my sneakers for example: I'll admit they are a bit bright with their pink and yellow stripe, but they are practical, they hug my feet in just the right places and provide me comfort.
On a daily basis we as Volunteers are asked to set aside our own comforts and be the dutiful ones. Armed with passion, we strive to offer education and guidance, support and solutions, love and compassion. Wearing the shoes of the Lord, we walk the path of righteousness. Just as the eldest son in today’s Gospel reading, we too undertake the burdens of another; requesting little to nothing in return.

These daily undertakings are often challenging, frustrating and tiresome; they wear on our hearts, our relationships and our souls. In unfamiliar cultures, states, and lands we are tiptoeing amid discouragement, fear, death and poverty. We give of ourselves in ways that can sometimes seem like too much. It is in these moments of hesitation or self doubt, resentment, lack of courage, lack of energy or lack of faith that we stray away from God, just as the younger son did.

Although challenging, we must realize that all we need to do is to stop walking away, turn around and head back towards God. It is he who has been waiting patiently for us with open arms all along; ready to celebrate our return and share the weight of our burdens. He is hidden amid the hardest of days, found within the silence of the oppressed, in the tears of the downtrodden and the frustrations of the broken.

Just as our old shoes hug our feet in all the right places, comforting us as we accomplish daily undertakings, God too is our support. As Volunteers He has blessed each of us with a burden, just as he blessed both the sons in the Gospel. What is important to remember is that it is He who is waiting at our front door each morning, ready to tie our shoelaces tight and make the journey with our souls.

2 comments:

  1. This is very well written, Meg. Are you going into a career with writing...you'd be great at it! Are you there as part of school or part of your church? Hope all is well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, every time I read something you write I am amazed....but not suprised at the picture you so clearly paint. I wish I had your way with words. What a gift you have been blessed with. I would submit your writings to magazines and let so many others enjoy your gift. We love you and miss you and admire your courage and faith. Love you, Cathy
    Evan Says "HI there"

    ReplyDelete