04 March 2010

Never bring watermelon to a braai...

Alas, after much hassle, a few phone calls and an in person visit to Telkom we have our internet back! Our water hasn’t been working for two days and I haven’t showered in three, but really who am I trying to impress? Being without internet for two weeks was both trying and revitalizing. All four of us had moments where we wanted to throw the computer over the cliff into Embo, but we also were able to spend time reading, journaling and most importantly time together as a community. It was frustrating not being able to talk to people, but I still managed to put up a few stories on my blog and let my mom know that I was alive (thanks to the kindness of the priests next door). And I think all in all I realized that although irritating, life without the internet is possible (gasp!)

Since I last wrote many things have happened. I’m going to do my best to recount…

A few weeks ago was Sinead’s 23rd birthday, an appropriate time to host our first braai. What you must first understand is that there is underlying braai etiquette which upon arrival to South Africa we were unaware of. Think of a hot summer day, maybe you’re on the lawn at North Beach, in the quad of the apartments or in the backyard at Karen’s. The guests are beginning to arrive, the appetizers are set out, multitudes of various salads and watermelon are refrigerating, the meat is cooking and the cards and beer pong table are being set up. Right? WRONG! Spin the aforementioned 180 degrees and you will have yourself a braai.

First, the word braai is not only bizarre to spell, but I feel like I am using an incomplete word whenever I say it in a sentence. “Hey, wanna come to our braaiiiii… on Saturday?”

The word originated from Afrikaans and has been adopted by South Africans with a bit of resistance from United States volunteers. I can’t quite determine if it is a noun “get the braai (grill) so we can cook the meat” or a verb “we are going to braai (cook) it” As far as I can tell it is used interchangeably.

Comparable to a potluck everyone brings their own food, especially meat which was shocking to the four of us. The host rarely provides more than the location and perhaps a side salad. Everyone cooks their own food and eats separately.

Which is where we differed as hosts.

Our braai was an extravaganza, complete with numerous appetizers, various meats and salads and of courses desserts. All homemade, ah thank you!
Course one
-Cheese dip and crackers
-Salsa with baked chips
-Bruschetta with mozzarella
-Watermellon (which shockingly enough is never appropriate to bring to a braai)

Course two
-Shrimp, onion and haloumi kabobs
-Hamburgers
-Steak

Course three
-Apple pie
-Brownies
-Chocolate cake

Course four
-1000 games of flip cup
-Gin bucket
-Wine
-Amarula
-Vodka
-Apple sour

Our braai which actually turned into more of an American BBQ was a huge success. 20 of our new friends joined in the fun and games and even Fr. Bob from the Bronx made a guest appearance.

We set up right by our pool and the balcony overlooking the sunset and the valley. In true volunteer form I used our resources and covered our lawn chairs and tables with cut curtains fashioned to evoke elegance and class. As the night grew darker white Christmas lights were used to adorn the nearby trees and cactus’ while music of all varieties encouraged dancing.

Being the kind hearted women we are, we kindly taught beer pong, up the river down the river a**hole and of course flip cup to our poor deprived South African friends. In true American fashion ladies ran the table. And to our surprise everyone was shocked that we drank beer; apparently here only males do….tragic I know.

So I don’t want to brag, but I’m going to go ahead and put it out there that I am a connoisseur of fun and luckily my three roommates are as well! The party didn’t stop till four in the morning and my cell phone was blowing up with messages praising our braai hosting abilities for the majority of the next week. Most messages sounded something like “that was the most amazing night of my life!!!” More than once someone has told us that they would provide all the money needed if we would host again. I’m sure it will be an amusing next 10 months… only draw back is that the recycling center does not pay you that glorious 5 cents a can upon returning them.

2 comments:

  1. I hope when we come we can host a braai. Do you think I will make it until 4:00 am? Probably not but it would be fun to try. It sounded like a blast. Nana taught us well on how to host parties. You are truly my daughter. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite a fun time! Great y'all can let your hair down and have fun...alsp glad you did it more like our BBQs. It's hard to picture what it they usually have. Why is watermelon a no-no?
    :)

    ReplyDelete