27 March 2010

Hiking in the Berg

Last weekend we went to the Drakensberg to Andrews house. Saturday was spent hiking all day. And by hiking, I mean almost dying. It was the most physically demanding thing I have ever done. Unfortunately as per usual our internet at our house is out. I'm currently at a dodgy internet cafe hanging out with young gentleman screaming as they play world of warcraft. They are closing soon so I don’t have time to type the full story of our hike, but I figured some pictures would suffice. I’ll try and come back sometime tomorrow or early next week to give you the full description.
Cliff notes: The hike was for experts. I’m not an expert. We climbed a vertical gully of rocks and at the top of the mountain found ourselves in the middle of a thunder and lightning storm with no shelter. We were then bombarded by a 35 minute hail storm ( I have bruises on my legs and back to prove it). I had two panic attacks as we all ran through a freezing cold stream. We were totally unprepared weather wise. We had to climb down the mountain face using a chain ladder and no ropes and then still had a two hour hike down to our car. I have never been so terrified in my entire life. Our night ended with a lot of wine, tears, affirmations and serious bonding. My roommates, Mary-Kate, Becca and Sinead as well as our friends Martin, Andrew and Claire are my lifesavers.
I’m alive.
More to come.


6am, leaving for the hike


Monkey on our drive


Snack Break part way up the mountain


The TOOTH and look at the storm looming in the background ahhhhhh


Becca and I, mid climbing the gully


I made it to the top!



Hail


Ladder


Rainbow as we drove home

2 comments:

  1. When I first saw these I was taken aback.....I am glad you are safe! It was pretty but did look daunting....you are so brave!
    :)
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are awesome, i'm so jealous.
    That doesn't compare to the planet fitness work out in Essex Junction though!! <:)

    ReplyDelete