04 March 2010

Home is never that far away

Before arriving in South Africa I was overloaded with so much information I thought my brain was going to explode. Go visit so and so, get to know that family, make sure you have dinner at her house and let him take you out for drinks. I honestly remember very little of what was told to me, but one name sticks out in my mind. Susie from Vermont.

Apparently Susie and her husband Michael moved to South Africa two years ago and after running into the volunteers at the recycling center (see our weekend bottle returns after braais will pay off) became great friends.

Susie and her family welcomed me over to their home on Saturday. I thought my little adventure would be a brief stint; discussing all the things we had in common and our mutual love for Vermont. I wound up spending the afternoon, evening, night, morning and mid morning with the family and when I finally had to drag myself away I didn’t want to leave.

Susie and her husband Michael moved from outside Waterbury, Vermont to Mexico for two years and then found themselves in South Africa. Their children – Emma 14, Alex 12 and Sam 9 are the most precious, intelligent, well spoken, adorable children ever. I went from being an awkward visitor to part of the family in a matter of minutes.

Susie and I drank wine and laughed. We expressed frustrations and fancies of the South African culture and living so far away from home. She comforted me and I encouraged her. Emma and I talked about her debate team, school and her new boyfriend. Alex gave up her bed so I could sleep in it, asked for homework help and made muffins with me in the morning. Sam attacked me with a nerf gun and made me promise to have a joint birthday party with him.

I felt somewhat guilty leaving the community, but I think I needed it. I miss the sense of being a part of a family so much. I couldn’t have felt more at home so far away from home. They literally took me in and gave me everything; dinner, drinks, pjs, contact case, a bed to sleep in and the best pillows in the house, breakfast, friendship, companionship, an ear to vent to and a million hugs.

1 comment:

  1. Meg, this story warms my heart. I am so glad you have friends/family to spend some spare time with...and Vermonters...well that says it all there.. Lol
    Keep on having fun and can't wait for the joint b-day pics...

    ReplyDelete